Looking for a great comfort food recipe? We have a delicious one for you, AND it has spinach in it… that has to mean it’s healthy, right?! Check it out and let us know what you think. Enjoy!
- 1 pound box penne pasta
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tb olive oil
- 4 cans Italian seasoned tomatoes, undrained (14 oz each)
- 16 ounces fresh spinach
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 C freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, cubed
- Cook your pasta in salted water according to the package directions to al dente, then drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat and when hot, add the onion. Sauté until the onion is beginning to soften, then add the garlic and cook for another 1 minute.
- Add the undrained Italian tomatoes, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Allow the sauce to simmer and reduce for about 15 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Add the spinach in large handfuls, mixing it in after each handful. Allow the spinach to wilt a bit and then add another large bunch of spinach, repeating until all the spinach has been added.
- Add 1/3 cup of the parmesan cheese, and mix it in well.
- Add the cubed mozzarella cheese to the pasta, then combine until the sauce and cheese is evenly distributed.
- Transfer the pasta to a large greased casserole dish (we used 13×9) and sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Cook 15-20 minutes at 375 degrees
- Cook remaining 5 minutes on broil until the cheese browns on top.
Follow our journey! Click the button below to subscribe to our newsletter.