This week’s Friday Fitness Tip is Getting the Right Amount of Sleep. Getting a good night’s sleep has many benefits, but we are just going to relate it to exercise. You will be more successful in your exercise routines and goals, when you are well rested. If you look at the sleep guidelines, adults (26 – 64 years) should be getting 7 – 9 hours of sleep per night. Until becoming moms, we had no idea how important sleep was to our health. They always say you don’t know what you have until you no longer have it.
So how does one achieve this goal? Well, here are a few tips that we came across.
- Stick to a sleep schedule, even on weekends. Sometimes we let go of our routines on the weekends because we feel like we have extra time to sleep in (those of us without young kids). Maybe we just finished a Netflix show and we can’t wait until tomorrow to watch the next episode. Let me give you some advice…go to bed. You’ll thank me in the morning.
- Practice a relaxing bedtime ritual. Maybe you wash your face, take a hot shower/bath, brush your teeth, read a book, diffuse some oils, etc. Whatever works for you, but establish a good routine and stick to it!
- Exercise often. This is spot on! Exercising helps sleep and sleep helps exercising.
- Beware of hidden sleep stealers, like alcohol and caffeine. Aw man. Mom life craves coffee and wine! Maybe moderation is key.
- Turn off electronics before bed. This is a huge one, and one where we are guilty! Kids are in bed, why not catch up on the news on your Facebook feed? Statistics show leaving your phone face up disrupts your sleep.
Now, go to bed!
Follow our journey! Click the button below to subscribe to our newsletter.