A little while ago we posted about finding the right pre-workout snack, and now we want to share the perfect post-workout snack. This week’s Friday Fitness Tip is “What Are The Best Post-Workout Snacks?”
Most of us give a lot of thought to our pre-workout snack, and just let the post-workout snack fall to the wayside. It is just as important. The bottom line is this, consuming the right nutrients after exercise can help rebuild your muscle proteins and glycogen stores (these are used as fuel when you are exercising). It also helps stimulate growth of new muscle. The best post-workout snack has a 3:1 ratio of carbs to protein.
Examples of good carbs to consume:
- Rice Cakes
- Sweet potatoes
- Fruits (apples, bananas, berries, pineapple)
- Whole grain crackers – you can go as simple as Wheat Thins
Examples of good proteins to consume:
- Greek yogurt
- Cottage cheese
- Peanut butter
- Protein powder (animal- or plant-based)
Put them together and here are some awesome post-workout snacks!
- Greek yogurt with berries
- A banana and peanut butter smoothie with protein powder, almond milk, and a touch of cinnamon
- Small bag of low-fat or fat-free popcorn with one scoop of chocolate whey protein powder
- Apple with almond or peanut butter
- Sweet potato fries – We love this recipe!
- A handful of almonds
- Peanut butter and banana on a rice cake
- Hummus and crackers
- Tuna on crackers